What is a great food for fuel and recovery and healthy living?
Cabbage is great but is limited in many case. When fermented we get the great cabbage benefits and we add the power of the probiotics.
The probiotics help with health and immunity as well as recovery and rest. They aid in digestion which allows us -helps us absorb the nutrients in our foods and supplements.
I love sauerkraut and am really beginning to love Korean sauerkraut _ KimChi
Kimchi (kimmchee) – made with cabbage/carrots, radishes/onions/garlic/ginger and red pepper is loaded with Vitamins A, B and C as well as some minerals and the most powerful benefit of fermented Veggies is the presence of lactobacilli bacteria that aid in digestion and strengthen immunity.
It is also High in fiber since it is loaded with fiber rich plant based foods.
The greatest benefit is that it is easy to make and can be used / eaten in many ways to provide variety in our dietary life.
1 head Napa Cabbage – shredded
3-4 carrots- shredded
1 daikon or 6-7 red radishes- chopped
2-3 cups pure water
2-3 TBS sea salt (non-iodized)
-3-4 cloves garlic- mincd
-1-2 TBS fresh ginger-minced
-5-6 green onions-chopped
– 1-3tsp korean red chili powder or flakes
1. Combine cabbage / carrot/ radishes in large bowl
2. Dissolve salt in water(room temp) and pour over the veggies and stir to coat completely
3. Cover with cheesecloth or wax paper and weigh down with plate and sit bowl on corner for 8 hours or overnight
4. (after soaking) Combine remaining ingredients
5. Pour liquid out of bowl ( it will increase as much as 1-2 cups) – taste cabbage- if too salty give a rinse with a ½ cup pure water
6. Put all back in bowl and blend in the chili/garlic/ginger mix
7. Put in jar or ceramic crock and cover allowing in to breathe- ( I use an airlock to allow the ferment to take place and keep the veggies sealed from outside.
8. Allow to sit at room temperature for 4- 8 or more days. If using an airlock watch for bubbles ( CO2 from fermentation) Can wait until bubbles slow down or stop [longer equals stronger ferment] Remove airlock and put lid on container and place in fridge to store and stop ferment.
Should store for a few weeks or more in the fridge.
HOW TO EAT:
Straight out of the jar
In a wrap made from a leafy vegetable
As a side with a hot stir fry/steamed veggie dish
On top of rice