This soup is built on the foundation of the traditional mirepoix (carrot,celery,onion) and 4-6 cloves of garlic for each person eating the soup. The garlic is chopped small.
The 4 veggies are sauteed and then diced potatoes and sliced mushroom (crimini mushrooms-used this time)
Tomatoes and a zesty vegetable broth are used as the base.
COLD AND FLU SOUP
2 lbs redskin potatoes – bite sized pieces
2 lbs Crimini mushrooms- quartered
2 medium onions chopped
8 celery stalks chopped
4 carrots chopped
12 garlic cloves crushed/chopped
2 tbs dried basil leaves
2 dried chili peppers
1 tbs turmeric powder
2 tsp mustard powder
2-28oz cans plum tomatoes
32oz vegetable broth
1. in Olive Oil- Saute onions and celery and carrots and then add garlic. add some salt/pepper
2. Add potatoes and stir for 5-7 minutes – add salt / pepper
3. add mushrooms and stir for 3-4 minutes- add salt / pepper
4. Add broth and tomatoes (crush/slice by hand) – stir thoroughly
5. After 5 minutes and the broth is warm add turmeric, mustard and the peppers(broken into half or quarters)
6. Bring to bubbling/boiling- While stirring. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 20-40 minutes.
7. Pour into Bowl and serve alone or with a salad(lemon juice dressing)